2005年5月24日

Fedora Core 3 on Portégé 2000

header-fedora_logoInstalling Fedora Core 3 on Portégé 2000 is really straight-forward. With an external cdrom plugged in USB slot, I successfully want through the whole setup process without problem. Just remember to load usb mass storage driver to let the install program find the USB CDROM.

The only tricky thing is that the suspend function won't work in the beginning. Yes, it will go to suspend with no trouble, but after I pressed the power button to wake it up, it will perform a clean shutdown immediately. I had been digging about this problem on the Internet for quite a few days without any luck. Finally I found a post today indicates that the "sample.conf" under /etc/acpi/events might be the cause. I suddenly recalled that sample.conf tells the system to shutdown when someone pressed the power button, and that's why my system keeps halt itself after resume. Quite a simple and stupid answer, just like must of the bugs in software.

So just edit /etc/acpi/events/sample.conf, mark the power button event as comments, then the suspend function will work just fine.

Toshiba provides a fn-key to perform some quick adjustments like LCD brightness, system suspend, hibernate, etc. It'll be nice to have this feature under Linux environment, so I grabbed and installed the fnfx rpm from its project website. It proves to be quite handy.

The only problem now is that FC3 does not support hibernation. Perhaps I'll find a solution later.

沒有留言 :

張貼留言